Monday, April 23, 2012

A Few Firsts

Soo, it's been a long minute since my last post but don't worry, nothing too exciting has happened since then. Actually, I take that back; last week I had a few firsts: I visited The Melting Pot restaurant for the first time and had the most amazingly yummy dessert EVER. When the (very cute) waiter brought out the pot of chocolate Heaven, it was in the design of a Yin and Yang. It was freakin awesome! I also attended a Braves game with a couple of my favorite guy friends for the first time in almost two years, and afterwards we went to a strip club (my first time!). I was very impressed by some of those girls' moves.. it was a bit insane! Anyway, I also participated in my very first corn hole tournament this weekend, and had a great time! If y'all don't know what the h-e-double hockey sticks corn hole is, don't worry, because I had no idea what it was until I witnessed it yesterday. Basically, it is like a bean-bag toss only you are aiming for one hole in a slanted board and you play with a partner against another team. Your points depend on where on the board your bag lands; 3 points foor getting in in the hole and one point for landing on the board. These people were legit; they had 3 sets of boards, team brackets, and everything. We had a corn hole tournament. Just saying it makes me feel super country. And man, it was pretty fun! My partner and I were both newbies, but we actually did pretty decent.

This blog initially started out as a place for me to track my weight loss journey, but since there has been none of that taking place, it has become more of a place for me to work on The List. So, since I can't report any weight loss happenings, I am going to continue with The List. This time I am going to number 9: List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.

As soon as I saw this prompt, a few people popped into my head. Now, I am not sure if I can come up with 10, but I will try. Also, I could go on and on about these special people in my life, but I am going to keep it short and sweet. Here goes..

1. My sister, Becci has taught me to never let anyone hold me back and to always shoot for the stars.

2. My mom is the greatest. She is currently fighting a rare autoimmune disease, but she refuses to give up on anything in her life, including her children (no matter how much we drive her crazy) and herself. She may not have too much physical strength these days, but she is one seriously strong lady.

3. My Gma is my guardian angel and guides me everyday. Even though I can't see her anymore, I know that she is always with me and believes in me. She always valued education and encouraged me to do my best.

4. Gpa is my other guardian angel and worked his @$$ off everyday of his life to provide for his family. He never received a degree, but was one of the smartest men that I knew. He could find the area of any object and was my go-to for geometry. He was a real man.

5. My siblings (all 4 of them) have really taught me a lot. I have learned lessons from them on what to do as well as what not to do.

6. Watching my niece and nephews grow up has taught me to savor every minute that I have with them, and with my children in the future because one day I will blink and they will be as tall as me, with "boyfriends" and "girlfriends." And there is nothing that I can do to stop it.

7. All of the students and teachers that I have encountered over the past few years in my field experiences have helped me to realize how much I love teaching and I look forward to having my own classroom. I feel at home when I am teaching, no matter how much those little darlings may drive me nuts some days.

8. My ex taught me that no one is worth losing myself. I tried my damnedest to "save" him and lost so much of myself over the years. He taught me that I can't save everyone, and that a person has to want to better himself in order for anyone to be able to help him. Some people are just happy being miserable. Well, not me.

9. I have taught myself that I am stronger than I give myself credit for.

10. My best friends have taught me the true meaning of friendship and that true friends are there for you when you need them, even if they live a few states away. <3

There you have it; the people that have influenced my life. Is there someone special that has influenced your life? Or perhaps someone not-so-special that had a negative influence in your life? Just some food for thought..

No comments:

Post a Comment